FBX for Train Sim World (3DC 9 & 3DC 10)

I’m working on an FBX exporter for both 3DC 9 and 3DC 10.

I’m using the official Autodesk FBX SDK, so the export should be rock solid. So far so good. I should have a basic exporter in a few days for 3DC 9.

Anyone here familiar with the process for Train Sim World?

That’s great news Richard! When it’s ready, I’d like to experiment with exporting my Jupiter from 3DC 9.3.

At the moment, I don’t think any developers outside of DTG’s own team have any info on the process for TSW – they seem to be guarding the secrets closely.

Oh, Ok. Well, I guess I am not as far behind schedule on the FBX exporter as I thought I was.

One bit of bad news: You’ll need the 3DCrafter 9.5 Beta installed, which I just released. But I’m 99% certain it can be installed along side of 9.3 and they use the exact same format. Unfortunately I can’t test all of this because I’m in a cabin in the woods (focusing entirely on 3DCrafter for two months) and I only brought my development machine.

It’s a little bit complicated, but this initial release of the 9.5 Beta will only work with Windows 10. But I plan to have one that works with 7/8/10, but that version won’t be able to be installed alongside 9.3.

That’s ok Richard. I’m also using 9.2.2 alongside 9.3 without any problems swapping between the two with the same model. Some things work in one version and not in the other, which is why I use both, although mostly I’ve been using 9.3, on a Windows 7 laptop. I’ll try out 9.5 soon on my Windows 10 PC once I’ve fixed a few other things that Windows 10 messed up.

Enjoy your time in the cabin, I envy you!

Well, it’s not ACTUALLY a “cabin in the woods”. It’s more of a “condo in a ski resort”. But in summer there’s no-one around and not much to do, so it works as a “cabin in the woods” from a getting stuff done perspective. 🙂

Looking at FBX in detail, I can’t imagine how one would provide the information needed for a train simulator. Certainly there isn’t the information in the file format that was in the “s” or “igs” formats. For now I’ll just do a straight geometry/material export. If more is needed I can adapt it.

Well… that was (relatively) easy. The basic FBX export is done. It’s just a matter of perfecting it now. A public release should happen next week sometime.

One really nice thing about supporting FBX well for both import and export is that Windows now comes with a pretty good “Paint in 3D” program that just so happens to import and export FBX.

The importer is coming, but I have some fixes for v9.5 first.

Thanks for keeping us updated Richard.

I know practically nothing about FBX so I hope you’ll excuse my ignorance on this, but can you say whether the texture mapping information is preserved in the FBX format? Obviously the shader information is irrelevant (I’ve no idea what shaders are used in UE4), but it would be nice if we could avoid having to remap all the textures.

Yes, all the texture mapping is preserved.

I think there’s going to be a big learning curve in getting things the way that Train Sim World wants it. I wonder if any of the Blender modellers have tried yet.

I noticed that there are LODs in the file format. I’m not doing that yet. I want to see how Train Sim World uses them first. There’s just a lot of unanswered questions.

Has Dovetail released anything yet on how to prepare models for it? I haven’t been able to find anything.

That’s a relief!

Nothing’s been released to third parties yet. Recently DTG mentioned, publicly, that they’re working on toolsets, but I don’t know which tools. I suspect they’ll begin with tools for creating scenarios, followed by tools for building routes using their predefined assets, and only then move on to developer tools, but that’s just my guess.

Looks like I am ahead of schedule for once rather than behind. It’s a nice change.:-)

Yeah, I don’t think there’s any hurry. I’ll let you know if I hear anything new that I’m allowed to share.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Spudinsky. Reason: typo

Thanks. I appreciate it.

In the mean time I’ll do what I can with the FBX exporter, and try to get 9.5 solid.

4 days… it took 4 days to get the rotations right in the FBX exporter! I knew that was going to be the hard part, but I figured a day, tops.

The details. I had to go from a left-handed matrix to right-handed matrix, then to a quaternion, and finally from the quaternion to xyz eulers angles (which are totally non-standard btw). I’m not mathematician so I relied on finding code on the ‘net to do the work. And that wasn’t easy. There are literally dozens of incorrect forum posts and articles out there on how to do it. And most of the information is about going from z-up to y-up.

The good news for 3DC users is that in the process of doing this I had to use the xyz group rotation A LOT, and I managed to improve it A LOT. 🙂 (going into both 3DC 9 and 3DC 10)

Sounds complicated! Glad it worked out though.

Happy 4th of July, by the way!

You must be logged in to reply in this thread.

Announcement
60 posts
recent posts