v10 Progress

Ok, I agree that it is a somewhat unorthodox use of the ribbon, breaking up building a model into “phases”. That will result in repetition of available tools to some extent. But If I do things right, the stuff you don’t need won’t be visible and the stuff you do need will. Generally. There are going to be a few exceptions.

Gee, I hope I’m not sounding too defensive. I just want to express the reasoning behind the choices.

Today I managed to get plug-ins and scripts more or less working. It doesn’t fit too well with the ribbon interface, but it isn’t bad.

Harder is import and export. I’m going to have to do things quite differently than in the past. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Import will become simpler because you won’t have to say what type you intend to import. As for export, I’ll probably mimic Paint’s “Save As” more or less.

When that’s done, which should be tomorrow, the major features of 3DC will all be working again (sort of) and I can concentrate on the interface and whether to go more “standard” ribbon or to keep on with my less standard method. I have to admit that I’m leaning towards going more “standard” if I can find a way to make things more eaier for beginners at the same time. Whichever way I go, it won’t take long. It’s mostly just moving buttons around which is pretty straight forward.

Quick Q – is there an option to keep the shapes regular when adding them? i.e. a cube, circular cylinder etc without rescaling after adding the shape?

Not yet 🙂 I haven’t decided what to do with “snapping” yet. Actually, it probably won’t be in until 10.1 at the rate things are going.

All of the features of v10 are “roughed in”. I still have to make many decisions on the user inteface, but it is all there and most of it works.

I think I have come up with a plan for the ribbon that should satisfy my desire to simplify for beginners, provide much of what experienced users are accustomed to, and still provide functions based on context.

The idea is still a little bit non-standard for the ribbon, but fits better on the whole than the current alpha, I think.

I’m still hoping for a beta on Friday, but it might be delayed until Sunday.

I had a really rough day yesterday. I spent 6 hours getting one button to work, which is crazy! And, I was having massive problems with reliability. I think I have it sorted out now, but the beta is definitely delayed, at least a day.

3000 lines of XML later 3DC has a new interface. It is pretty flexible I think and should work well for new users as well as long time users. And due to some helpful comments it is quite different than Alpha 1.

2 or 3 more days of polishing are needed before I can release anything.

I’m busy refining the new interface. I’m liking it. Trying to make things smart, and not get in the way of getting things done. But there’s a lot more work than I thought. What was that saying…. the last 20% takes 80% of the time? 🙂

I’ve been trying to have a simple version of the Material Palette integrated in the ribbon but haven’t been able to get it to work quite as I’d like unfortunately. But it will be there for those who simply want to use a texture and/or colour. Of course the advanced material palette will be a click away.

I’m having trouble getting alpha 2 out the door. But tomorrow (Friday) is the day. A week late, and an alpha, not a beta. The beta will be another week, so that’s two weeks late. Except I meant to get the final version out, so that probably means 3+ weeks late. But better late than never 🙂

Hi Richard

I wouldn’t worry about a few weeks delay. Plenty of new versions of other programs are months behind schedule. I will be looking forward to experimenting with alpha 2 though.

Paul

Thanks 🙂

The thread ‘v10 Progress’ is closed to new replies.