v10.1 Features

Here’s my v10.1 wish list:

o) Draw on face. Basically, draw circles and rectangles on existing faces (and prehaps something like freehand) and have them be automatically “intersected/inset”. You can then just extrude as needed, with it being a single shape. I dont’ know if that make sense or not. But I know how I want to do it.
o) A new “drafting-style” mode for “snapping”. It’s hard to explain, but I’d like to make it easier to line things up with other objects and the grid. It’s important that this exists for the new draw shapes, and the planned draw on face.
o) A few performance improvements that I have in my other 3D products that can be moved to 3DC relatively simply,

That’s it for now. It doesn’t sound like much, but they are more useful than they seem.

Hopefully it will be ready in the next few months.

Any other thoughts?

I’m desperate for drawing on faces 🙂 – basically I need a way to put edges across multiple faces.
I then chamfer the edges and negative extrude – to produce indented panel lines on models for 3D printing.

I was thinking of writing my own plugin for this that projects edges of faces onto shapes, based on the face normal.
Drawing on a face (or multiple selected faces?) will be a big help – not sure if it’s exactly what I need, I’ll have to wait and see what you come up with 🙂

Unfortunately, drawing on multiple faces very likely won’t happen. But, you could just merge faces to get the surface you need to draw on.

Actually, I just had a thought on how it might be done. So MAYBE I can do it. I’ll try. Could be fun.

The draw on face tool sounds very useful. Will we be able to duplicate the figure drawn on the reverse side of the shape? I mean if we draw a circle on the front face of a cube for example will the circle be copied onto the back face so that we can use the bridge tool to make a hole?

Also, I would like to see some kind of ‘move line’ tool i.e. select a loop and move it up or down (or left /right) without affecting the underlying shape, as in the screen shot (note: v10 in use!).

View post on imgur.com

Paul

You’re trying to get me to exercise my brain here aren’t you? 🙂

Very intersting stuff. I really can use a break from “interface” work. These are the kinds of things that I want for v10.1.

I hadn’t planned to draw on the opposite side, or permit it. I’ll have to think on that one.

“Paul wrote:
Also, I would like to see some kind of ‘move line’ tool i.e. select a loop and move it up or down (or left /right) without affecting the underlying shape, as in the screen shot”

This is very interesting for me too…

Yeah, the move line tool would be great to have. It might be more complicated than it seems though. I’m still thinking on it.

I’m excited at the possibilities of the “draw face on shape”. I have some ideas on implementation now. It would probably take me a month to write. But it would be cool. 🙂 Fun stuff! I am so bored with interface work now.

“Paul wrote:
Also, I would like to see some kind of ‘move line’ tool i.e. select a loop and move it up or down (or left /right) without affecting the underlying shape, as in the screen shot”

This is very interesting for me too…

Something like “Crtl+R” command in Blender…
🙂

What about what I believe are called ‘greebles’? This is a tool for designing simple shapes then having them duplicated and attached to a selected surface – gives the appearance of having extra surface detail.

Paul

When I wanted an object to have a reflective surface I could adjust this via raytrace materials in 9.3. If this is coming back again then fine otherwise what about a reflectivity slider in the material panel?

The new draw primitive tool is great and very easy to use. Could we maybe have a button to constrain the shape i.e. press ctrl when drawing a cube to get a square cross section then let go of ctrl and adjust the height to whatever you want. Same routine for the other primitives.

Paul

Move pivot point to a selected point on a shape or centre of a selection of points.

Paul/Robix,

Move line is a priority. It’s a little tricky because it really needs adjacent faces to be on the same plane and that isn’t guaranteed by any means. But there are ways.

Paul,

I “think” if I add support for Renderman there will be a lot of possibilities like “greebles”.

The lack of raytrace materials is a bug. If I don’t fix it, can you remind me? 🙂

Paul,

I forgot to say: In v10.1 I plan to have a new “snap” feature that I “think” should address the issue with keeping shapes equal x-z-wise as you draw them.

You must be logged in to reply in this thread.

Announcement
14 posts
recent posts