Can you use the Bake operation on models for Train Simulator

I’m modelling some buildings and other odds and sods for a TS route. I’ve spent some time doing the texturing but the models still look a bit flat. I’ve been trying to use the Bake operation to put some subtle shadows on the models but without success. All I get from the Bake operation is a black and white render with not much in the way of greys in between. Tried overlaying this on a texture as a separate layer and reducing the transparency, but it looks very unconvincing. Can anyone explain how to bake shadows on models for trainsim. I cant find any info on the Bake operation.

I was just experimenting with baking again.

The best way I’ve found so far is to make sure you use the auto unwrap first so that all parts are textured separately.

if you’re using the inverted box technique to hold the plans around the model – get rid of that box, that’s what’s making everything black. Took me a while to spot that. The bake finally worked when I moved the plans below the model.

It takes a lot of experimentation (auto unwrap especially) but should be worth for a decent result.
I’ll get around to writing a tutorial on it one day…

Texture file after several auto unwraps

WST1

Image of model with texture as primary and baked file as secondary texture

12_09_2017_22_47_14

result of bake…

wst1bake_PNG

Thanks Paul. Should have thought about the inverted box holding the drawing. Obvious it will stop the light when you think about it. I’ve managed to get a decent Bake render now, but I’m at a loss as what to do with the Bake image. Do I add it as a layer in the TS texture file, or is there some other method?

the simplest way is to just add it as a layer (multiply? it may darken the whole texture slightly) then merge it with the texture in a paint program, that reduces the memory usage in the sim.

There is a shader option somewhere in TS that lets you use 2 textures but it’s been about 8 years since I did any TS work 🙂

post a few pics, I’ll like to see the results in the sim.

Cheers,
Paul

You must be logged in to reply in this thread.