3DCrafter 10.1 Alpha 1 Available

3D Crafter 10.1 Alpha 1 is now available. I don’t expect any further changes before the final release, except cosmetically.

IMPORTANT: Unfortunately you’ll need to manually uninstall any earlier betas. This includes uninstalling all “3D Crafter Prerequisites”. If that doesn’t work then things get tricky. Windows 10 has a new feature called “reset” that allows you to return to Windows defaults, without deleting documents. This will allow 3DCrafter 10 to be installed, pretty much guaranteed. But it means re-installing all your other software too. Which is a pretty big annoyance. Though I’ve used the feature dozens of times testing 3DCrafter and it isn’t so awful.

Download 3DCrafter 10.1 Alpha 1

With version 10, 3DCrafter now has a “ribbon” interface. You might know it from Microsoft Office, WordPad, Paint and others. I won’t try to explain it. I hope everyone has used it at some point. One of the benefits of this interface, and the reason I decided to use it, is context specific tabs that show only functions related to your current selection. I think this works particularly well with 3DCrafter.

What’s new
========

o) I have organized the main toolbar, the “ribbon” by modelling phase: “Build”, “Paint”, “Layout” and “Animate”. Each of these phases has a toolset associated with it. There’s a toolset button on the left side of the ribbon.

o) There are three user modes available: “Novice”, “Intermediate” and “Expert”. These are available on the “Options” tab. Novice is really just for beginners. It hides many features so that beginners are not overwhelmed. I expect most people will want to use Intermediate, which has all features enabled. Expert is for those who want to work more like 3DCrafter version 9. It combines the Build, Paint and Layout phases into one. Unfortunately this results in a crowded toolset, but I’ll be working to improve that.

o) The Navigation Controls is gone. Gone forever. It was more trouble than it was worth. People tended to get lost, get things turned upside down etc. It has been replaced by “Orbit”, “Pan”, and “Zoom”. These are on the main toolbar, but they can also be accesssed via the center mouse wheel/button. Orbit is the center button, Pan is the shift key held down with the center mouse button, and Zoom is the scroll wheel.

o) The Edit Control is now “compact”. It is basically the same thing, but making it “compact” makes the various surfaces easier to click on because I can orient things more suitably. The one thing you’ll notice is that the vertical scale/move are gone. But, all you have to do is right-click on the surfaces to get vertical scale/move. Just like if you were clicking on an object to move it up and down. I want to get rid of the Edit Control completely at some point, but there are really too many things to do, and I want to put out something as a starting point.

o) When you select a single shape, the bounding cage now has “handles”, that allow you to resize a shape.

o) The biggest new “feature” is the ability to draw primitives. How it works:

-pick a primitive,
-click to start, drag, (use the scroll wheel to get the detail level you want)
-click to indicate the size you want
-drag again for height (use the scroll wheel to get the vertical detail level you want)
-click to finish

o) with v10 context is everything. You should only get functions that are related to the modelling phase you are in, and what (if anything) you have selected. This will have to be progressively refined through the alpha/beta period.

o) One of the goals is to make it so that normal modelling tasks can be completed without ANY toolbars, panels etc visible, AND without having to remember any complicated key-combinations. I’m still working on this one, but it’s coming along. The key is that the ribbon can be minimized and important tools and operations can be placed in an are called the “Quick Access Toolbar”. I’m going to need help in choosing the standard tools and operations to add to it. Select, Select Point/Edge/Face, and Extrude are obvious ones I’d say. But there are certainly others.

o) The panels that normally were located along the left side now have to be shown using the View tab. Only those panels that are relevant to the toolset you are using are available. During modelling I don’t think any of them need to be displayed normally. Just every once in a while. I imagine it like this: model… model… model… need to look at the layers – show the panel – do something with layers – hide it … model… model… model… need an oddball operation not on a context tab-show the panel use the operation-close it… model… model… model…. When in Paint mode I kind of think it is the same. You choose a material, and then close up the material panel. But that might not always be the case.

o) The settings for an operation (if any) are immediately shown after you apply it to a selection because this is typically when you need them. I’ve tried to make it so that it doesn’t get in the way, but sometimes it does. It isn’t moveable, or closeable. I’d rather it not be. My experience with closing these tool settings is that they always seem to be gone when you need them-and operations almost always need some adjustment to settings. My experience with moving them is that they just end up in the way again in a couple of minutes, so they are constantly being moved and in the way. The way I have done it they are consistent, and it really isn’t that hard to ctrl-center click to pan the scene if something is obscured. That’s just my opinion of course, not everyone is going to agree.

o) The “Info” panel on the right is now context specific also. I “hope” it can always be closed during modelling unless doing a tutorial. I’ll need feedback on this. The panel can be closed either by clicking on the divider, or dragging it to the right. It can be re-opened by clicking on the divider or dragging it to the left.

o) There is a simple “material palette” on the paint/expert toolsets.

To do
====
o) Icons need to be completed
o) A couple of tutorials need to be entirely re-written, and many others need adaptation. Many screen shots need updating. I’m leaving that to the very end. I want ot be 100% certain the interface won’t change. It’s a big job and I don’t want to do it twice.

Final Version
=========

I really can’t say when the final version will be released. I made the mistake of saying dates a while back and it came back to bit me. On that note, anyone who has purchased the 3DCrafter 10 Version Upgrade, has lost patience and wants a refund should contact me: “assistance at amabilis.com”. I’ll need your name and email address to refund.

It took two attempts before it installed for me (after uninstalling the last version)

It ran as a freeware version so I entered the licence code for 10 and closed it.

Now I can’t find how to start it again 🙂 there is no menu item and no .exe I can find anywhere.

(Windows 7 64 bit)

Cheers,
Paul

Tried installing Apha1 after making sure no old version was still installed.. On running the program unregistered it seemed fine. Once I registered in for the pro version ( in Windows 10) Crafter 10.1 became very sluggish with popup dialogues becoming unresponsive for around a minute before I was able to adjust a setting or use it. The same every time I clicked on anything. I had to uninstall 10.1 as it was making 9.3 act the same. Once uninstalled 9.3 was fine.

Paul,

I want to blame that on Windows 7. But, more likely it is just generally a Click-Once failing. I had this happen with another piece of software that uses Click-Once. And running the install again didn’t fix it. If you search for 3DC.exe does it find it? Unfortunately with Click-Once everything is installed in the users folder.

Jim,

That’s so strange. I recall other people having problems with later builds of 9.3. Builds that I created on Windows 10. I wondered then if it was that it was built on Windows 10. I’m going to have to think on this.

Maybe the solution is to build on Windows 7. I doubt that I can go back very easily.

I am having problems installing the Capicom DLL. I am using the MS installer for CAPICOM 2.1.0.2 (as per your link). The installer just hangs. No UAC. No real dialog, just a blank maximized window with a close button which does not work. I had to kill it off in task manager.

PapaXpress,

Capicom shouldn’t be necessary with Windows 10. You are getting a Capicom warning, I guess?

Yes, that is correct.

PapaXpress,

I haven’t been able to come up with anything. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of is that your install of Windows 10 isn’t 100% correct. There’s some sort of configuration problem or corruption. The only solution I know is to reset the install of Windows 10. You can do this without affecting your data files, but it will mean reinstalling ALL of your software.

The good news is that I’ve never seen the 3DCrafter 10 install fail on a reset Windows 10 install. But there’s always a first time.

Everyone,

The one thing I noticed about installing 3DCrafter 10 is that sometimes the UAC message is minimized on the second step and you need to click on it to bring it to the foreground. I’m not sure if this always happens or not, and if there is something I can do to improve it.

Same here, Windows 10 64bit and “Capicom 2.0” required.
Richard, maybe you can try to fix it instead of telling us to reset the install 😉

3DSven,

Thanks. That’s helpful. Multiple people with the same problem indicates something. I did look into it before, but I’ll check again.

Capicom can be downloaded here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25281

Forgot to wrote: I installed Capicom 2.0 right after getting the error but it doesn’t fix it. Another strange thing: try to execute 3dcrafter as an admin but it doesn’t start (without any error message).

Richard,

Good to see progress being made on v10. Question though. I’m still on Windows7, and will be for the foreseeable future to do outside work requirements. In the downloads section it says that Windows10 is required. Will it still work for even though I’m on Windows7? If not, is it possible to get a build that will work on Win7? Thanks!

Howard

3DSven and PapaXpress,

Is Widows 10 the original OS on your computer?

Howard,

There’s actually no reason why it won’t run on Windows 7, but officially it doesn’t.

Is there a reason why a build couldn’t be done that would support Win7/8/10?

The thread ‘3DCrafter 10.1 Alpha 1 Available’ is closed to new replies.

Announcement
24 posts Thread is closed for discussion